Trisquel Aramo 11.0.1 down the chimney!

57 replies [Last post]
Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

So the holidays are not over yet!

And a present got down the chimney in testing format!

That's a Trisquel Aramo 11.0.1 ISO image set!

How amazing is that!?
Help us test it so we can start the next #GNU year 2024 with a new set of a great completely free software GNU/Linux-libre distro!

http://cdbuilds.trisquel.org/aramo/11.0.1/

Happy holidays o/

prospero

> How amazing is that!?

♪ └( *o*)┐ ♪ ┌(*o* )┘ ♪ └( *o*)┐ ♪ └( *o* )┘ ♪

Alice Wilton

Amazing news!

openmind

Lovely.

Pablo G

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Good news! Great gift for this holidays!

PublicLewdness

Is this just an updated image for so people doing fresh installs have less to download after ? Just making sure I understand what it is.

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

>...an updated image for so people doing fresh installs have less to download after...

This is exactly what it is. If you have all updates at Aramo, then no need to do a reinstall.

t3g
t3g

Btw do most Trisquel users use the standard MATE interface or use KDE?

grimlok

I use XFCE, it's light and fluffy :-)

yrk
yrk

I am a member!

I use awesomewm

--
"Cut your own wood and it will warm you twice"

t3g
t3g

"I use awesomewm"

Wayland right?

yrk
yrk

I am a member!

name at domain writes:

> "I use awesomewm"
>
> Wayland right?

x11

--
"Cut your own wood and it will warm you twice"

PublicLewdness

"Btw do most Trisquel users use the standard MATE interface or use KDE?"

I use Mate. Outside of it the only de's I find usable are Cinnamon and XFCE and even them I enjoy far less than Mate. Gnome is the only other one I can make usable for me and even then it's only usable not enjoyable.

mangeur de nuage

I do, Plus Trisquel's default MATE has been so far the best DE I have used to migrate newbies on GNU/linux as it's close to the xp DE agency

jas
jas

Yay \o/

Could you post *.gpg or *.asc files with GnuPG signatures?

How are the arm64/ppc64 tarballs intended to be used?

How do these netinst ISO's compare to the netinst ISO's that are included in these builds: https://builds.trisquel.org/debian-installer-images/

I have a Ampere Altra box that wants to be liberated from Ubuntu... maybe a next project!

/Simon

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

The ppc64el tarball may be deprecated in favor of the ppc64el netinstall.

On armhf/arm64 should be seen as experimental, as we can't confirm any SBC or arm SoC being able to install Trisquel by itself, the tarballs are some debootstrap environments, that could be used to test, but there is plenty of experiment required on that regard.

Users already running some of these arch could replace their Ubuntu repo and test the package manager, but maybe for now only on testing environments.

I'll pass the request on the gpg signature but it's very likely that they will appear once they become final images.

Regards.

jas
jas

As we've now seen confirmed installation via the ppc64el/arm64 ISO's, maybe they can be promoted to the official page! =)

Btw, answering my own question on the topic of https://builds.trisquel.org/debian-installer-images/ ISO netinst images vs http://cdbuilds.trisquel.org/aramo/11.0.1/ -- they are the bit-by-bit identical! I suppose the latter comes from the former builds.

/Simon

Avron

I am a translator!

What you did is interesting but maybe it should be clarified that it was only successfully used with machines that have a UEFI loader, which is not the case of many (all?) cheap arm64 SBCs.

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Exactly.

Quoting from today's meeting:
jas: yes unfortunately i think ppc64el/arm64 both are in a state that you can only reliable claim to support a known tested list of supported devices, rather than any device with those CPUs

I think this is accurate.

sid
sid

The new images are great news though I agree that signatures would be very helpful. (If you wouldn't use an unsigned final image then you probably shouldn't use an unsigned test image either?)

Markmus

I am a member!

I have tried to download the torrents, for seeding on my server, but I get this error from my torrent client "Requested download is not authorized for use with this tracker". :(

jxself

Yes the torrents on pre-release ones never work - only actual releases work.

Markmus

I am a member!

Thanks for the reply jxself.

Avron

I am a translator!

Installation with the netinstaller fails. I selected several mirrors, I end up with a message "Mirror archive corrupted". This message occurs after a message: Downloading "Release" files. My internet connection works fine, this is not the problem.

EDIT: The graphical installer worked but:
- the information on Trisquel and free software was displayed in English although the system installed was in French
- although I asked to download updates during install, after the reboot I am told that 128 package upgrades are available

Until the netinstaller works: is there a way to uninstall the graphical environment after a regular install? I tried with tasksel but removing trisquel environment did not do anything.

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

> Installation with the netinstaller fails. I selected several mirrors, I end up with a message "Mirror archive corrupted". This message occurs after a message: Downloading "Release" files. My internet connection works fine, this is not the problem.
About the netinstall, I've mentioned on IRC that it's broken due to a glibc update, soon to be worked out.

> - although I asked to download updates during install, after the reboot I am told that 128 package upgrades are available
Download updates files is no the same as install updates, sorry that's just a limitation on the ubiquity installation system.

> - the information on Trisquel and free software was displayed in English although the system installed was in French
Use the language tools to complete the language installation, it should be already pre-selected, same issue as the one with install updates from the live installer.

> Until the netinstaller works: is there a way to uninstall the graphical environment after a regular install?
This is an interesting one, you could mirror a clean netinstall installation package list (remove any other package from the "regular" install) but that would require to have such list backed up already :-/.
An advanced option may be using a debootstrap install, but that requires to have some nice skills to deal with it.

EDIT: You could build the netinstall yourself using while the new update is published.
With package-helpers create a source package, and with trisquel-builder create the netinstall tarball containing the mini.iso file.

EDIT2: There is a new build that should work while the update to the linux-hwe-6.5 release arrives:

Avron

I am a translator!

Thanks for the new image, the installation worked, on a computer that had the no keyboard issue previously.

At first, I was wondering whether it was working because it looked stuck, but it was only that the mirror I selected was extremly slow. After having waited for 20 minutes following partitioning, the only way I found to do something was to force shutdown with the power button. With another mirror, it was fine and fast.

About building the netinstall, I should certainly try doing that, I'll have more look at it.

sam-d16

Thank you very much to all developers for your work!

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Hello hello!

Big update from last one.

We have a new ISO set release for 11.0.1! \o/

We would like your help to test it out and make sure is as clean and stable as we think.

http://cdbuilds.trisquel.org/aramo/11.0.1/

Best regards!

jxself

I see that it has ISO for arm64 and ppc64el. Whee...

mangeur de nuage

Can't thank you all enough for your work.

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Hello, please don't forget to provide feedback as this should be the last test round for this ISO set.

Regards!

mangeur de nuage

Noted, will there be pgp sig for the final iso release ?

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Yeah, GPG signed ISOs are considered the final release

While that happens, only hashsums are available.

prospero

As hard as I tried to find a glitch in a live Trisquel Mini 11.0.1 ISO image, all my attempts failed miserably.

UPDATE: install went well. The ubiquity slideshow l10n seems to be unavailable, though.

mangeur de nuage

Hello, here's the only feedback I can give so far.
There seems to be a bug with the time setting, I can't change time/date in the GUI after installation and there's a 2 hour delay between the bios/uefi and Trisquel (paris time) which create issues when wanting to browser the web.
So for example when it's 2pm the distro will consider it to be 4pm, so I have to clock back the bios/uefi two hours back to fix that issue.

What can I provide to help solve this issue ?

prospero
mangeur de nuage

>ntp
Thank you for providing more context but that is not my question. I cannot change values in the clock GUI applet manually.

Edit: after checking before posting it turns out I can but not with the default "general notification" applet. See if I add manually the clock separated from the "notification applet" I can manually configure the whole thing and it works. I set back the time in the bios/uefi as normal and it works.
Or maybe I just haven't found how to do it in the default clock gui...idk.

Capture du 2024-04-13 01-56-05.png
prospero

> I cannot change values in the clock GUI applet manually.

From the OP in other thread: "The Hour Minute Second selection boxes in the Time and Date Manager window are unresponsive."

If you follow the instructions from the wiki page and install an ntp daemon, you will be able to switch ntp sync off in Time and Date Manager and set time manually, if so you wish. You can then switch it back on any time, to make sure your system clock is right.

> It is not a bug

Time and Date Manager seems to assume that time sync is enabled by default, which prevents setting time manually. If no time sync daemon is installed, it is possible to move the ntp sync switch back and forth, but we always get the same error message and manual time setting never gets activated. So there is the nasty bug, hiding behind ntp. I could swear someone reported this for a previous version, maybe the first Aramo 11.0 release, so this is probably not specific to 11.0.1.

prospero

After further testing, it appears that installing a time sync daemon may not be enough to fully bypass that bug. On a Trisquel 11.0.1 system with systemd-timesyncd installed and ntp activated:

1. switching off ntp sync in Time and Date Manager makes it possible to change time manually there by clicking on the +/- buttons, as expected.
2. after closing Time and Date Manager and opening it again, hour, minute and second digits are greyed out, as are the +/- buttons, and time cannot be changed manually, as in the default situation. Time zone can still be changed.
3. switching ntp sync back on, then off again makes it possible to change time manually.
4. go to step 2.

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

@mangeur de nuage

Go to Control Panel and with Indicators, you can customize plenty, included adding seconds to the date and time, without having to remove the default applet.

Regards

knife

I am a member!

Hello,
I installed Trisquel (without internet connection and with german language support) today.

Things that are not working correctly:

*long texts during installation is shown in english, see:
Bildschirmfoto zu 2024-04-09 10-40-23.png

*after installation a window pops up, saying the language support seems not to be complete and an internet connection is needed to install missing components, see:
Bildschirmfoto zu 2024-04-09 10-55-55-r1.png

after connecting to the internet the guided installation of these packages is working. I then copied the log of apt:
----------------------------
Log started: 2024-04-09 10:58:33
Vormals nicht ausgewähltes Paket hunspell-de-at-frami wird gewählt.
(Lese Datenbank ... 251557 Dateien und Verzeichnisse sind derzeit installiert.)
Vorbereitung zum Entpacken von .../00-hunspell-de-at-frami_1%3a7.2.0-2_all.deb ...
Entpacken von hunspell-de-at-frami (1:7.2.0-2) ...
Vormals nicht ausgewähltes Paket hunspell-de-ch-frami wird gewählt.
Vorbereitung zum Entpacken von .../01-hunspell-de-ch-frami_1%3a7.2.0-2_all.deb ...
Entpacken von hunspell-de-ch-frami (1:7.2.0-2) ...
Vormals nicht ausgewähltes Paket hunspell-de-de-frami wird gewählt.
Vorbereitung zum Entpacken von .../02-hunspell-de-de-frami_1%3a7.2.0-2_all.deb ...
Entpacken von hunspell-de-de-frami (1:7.2.0-2) ...
Vormals nicht ausgewähltes Paket hunspell-en-au wird gewählt.
Vorbereitung zum Entpacken von .../03-hunspell-en-au_1%3a2020.12.07-2_all.deb ...
Entpacken von hunspell-en-au (1:2020.12.07-2) ...
Vormals nicht ausgewähltes Paket hunspell-en-ca wird gewählt.
Vorbereitung zum Entpacken von .../04-hunspell-en-ca_1%3a2020.12.07-2_all.deb ...
Entpacken von hunspell-en-ca (1:2020.12.07-2) ...
Vormals nicht ausgewähltes Paket hunspell-en-gb wird gewählt.
Vorbereitung zum Entpacken von .../05-hunspell-en-gb_1%3a7.2.0-2_all.deb ...
Entpacken von hunspell-en-gb (1:7.2.0-2) ...
Vormals nicht ausgewähltes Paket hunspell-en-za wird gewählt.
Vorbereitung zum Entpacken von .../06-hunspell-en-za_1%3a7.2.0-2_all.deb ...
Entpacken von hunspell-en-za (1:7.2.0-2) ...
Vormals nicht ausgewähltes Paket icedove-locale-en-us wird gewählt.
Vorbereitung zum Entpacken von .../07-icedove-locale-en-us_1%3a115.9.0+build1-0ubuntu0.22.04.1~mt1+11.0trisquel22_all.deb ...
Entpacken von icedove-locale-en-us (1:115.9.0+build1-0ubuntu0.22.04.1~mt1+11.0trisquel22) ...
Vormals nicht ausgewähltes Paket libreoffice-help-en-gb wird gewählt.
Vorbereitung zum Entpacken von .../08-libreoffice-help-en-gb_1%3a7.3.7-0ubuntu0.22.04.4_all.deb ...
Entpacken von libreoffice-help-en-gb (1:7.3.7-0ubuntu0.22.04.4) ...
Vormals nicht ausgewähltes Paket mythes-de-ch wird gewählt.
Vorbereitung zum Entpacken von .../09-mythes-de-ch_20160424-4_all.deb ...
Entpacken von mythes-de-ch (20160424-4) ...
Vormals nicht ausgewähltes Paket wngerman wird gewählt.
Vorbereitung zum Entpacken von .../10-wngerman_20161207-9_all.deb ...
Entpacken von wngerman (20161207-9) ...
Vormals nicht ausgewähltes Paket wogerman wird gewählt.
Vorbereitung zum Entpacken von .../11-wogerman_1%3a2-37_all.deb ...
Entpacken von wogerman (1:2-37) ...
Vormals nicht ausgewähltes Paket wswiss wird gewählt.
Vorbereitung zum Entpacken von .../12-wswiss_20161207-9_all.deb ...
Entpacken von wswiss (20161207-9) ...
libreoffice-help-en-gb (1:7.3.7-0ubuntu0.22.04.4) wird eingerichtet ...
wogerman (1:2-37) wird eingerichtet ...
hunspell-de-ch-frami (1:7.2.0-2) wird eingerichtet ...
hunspell-en-ca (1:2020.12.07-2) wird eingerichtet ...
mythes-de-ch (20160424-4) wird eingerichtet ...
icedove-locale-en-us (1:115.9.0+build1-0ubuntu0.22.04.1~mt1+11.0trisquel22) wird eingerichtet ...
wngerman (20161207-9) wird eingerichtet ...
wswiss (20161207-9) wird eingerichtet ...
hunspell-de-at-frami (1:7.2.0-2) wird eingerichtet ...
hunspell-en-au (1:2020.12.07-2) wird eingerichtet ...
hunspell-de-de-frami (1:7.2.0-2) wird eingerichtet ...
hunspell-en-gb (1:7.2.0-2) wird eingerichtet ...
hunspell-en-za (1:7.2.0-2) wird eingerichtet ...
Trigger für cracklib-runtime (2.9.6-3.4build4) werden verarbeitet ...
skipping line: 1
Trigger für dictionaries-common (1.28.14) werden verarbeitet ...
Log ended: 2024-04-09 10:58:48
----------------------------

Bildschirmfoto zu 2024-04-09 10-40-23.png Bildschirmfoto zu 2024-04-09 10-55-55-r1.png
Avron

I am a translator!

I installed Trisquel MATE edition with internet connection and selected French, using the graphical installer.

During the installation, the welcome text was in English. After installation, it seems properly set in French, but I have not tested much. It was nice to only have 15 packages to upgrade.

Observations on partitioning (unchanged from previous):
- the default gave 23.2 GB for root, 2.9 GB for swap, although I have 8 GB memory (so suspend to disk won't be possible)
- with "something else", not possible to configure LVM (then no solution to have swap and filesystem in the same encrypted volume), so I gave it up

When encryption is used, the installer does not support installing while keeping /home, so there is no use for /home to be on a separate partition and it creates a risk of the root file system to be full at some point (especially version upgrade).

Avron

I am a translator!

I now did a Trisquel MATE installation with the netinstaller (selected Trisquel Desktop Environment and Trisquel Console Environment).

I selected "something else" and was able to make an encrypted volume, in which LVM is used to have a swap partition and the root partition (no separate home).

After installation, messages in terminals were in French but MATE was in English (I had selected French in the install). I can't remember whether it was the same with the previous netinstaller or not.

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Whether you use a LiveISO or use netinstall, it is always recommended to go to the language support section in the Control Panel to complete the l10n installation.

As I mentioned in another post, only Trisquel (MATE) has l10n pre-installed for various languages, so only with it, you'll end with a complete (or very close to) l10n system.

Netinstall as well as other flavors require manual post-installation intervention.

Regards.

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

UPDATE:
I'm finally having a chance to take a look and it seems that I messed up adding Chinese which was the last language added, breaking other languages.

I'll update as I get new info.

Regards.

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

So, there is already a new update of the slides on the repo.

If you feel generous to test it with current 11.0.1 iso you need to update it first launching ubiquity, using the following command should update it.

sudo apt update ; sudo apt install ubiquity-slideshow-trisquel

Then launch ubiquity and you should see the slides with l10n working.

NOTE:You might wanna do it while on a VM so you don't break your installation.

Regards.

prospero

It worked here with Trisquel Mini on a VM: after selecting French as the installation language, I got the French version of the slideshow.

knife

I am a member!

Hi,

I selected German and everything seems good.

I could read the text at the slideshow and it says there is an opportunity to buy Trisquel CDs/DVDs at the shop. For now, this is not possible, I think. But maybe an interesting thing for the future to offer CDs/DVDs, too?!

best wishes and

regards

EDIT: I also mentioned the new images at the slidewhow. Very nice!

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Hello guys!

It's worth mention that only the MATE flavor have several languages preinstalled[1], please add the details on what flavor you are having the issue.
Then we can start digging on what could be the cause.

Regards.

[1] https://trisquel.info/es/download

prospero

Since the topic counter for the Trisquel users forum has just topped 10,000, we have a good excuse to do a bit of archeology:

"..and four new preinstalled languages -the list now includes English, Basque, Catalonian, Chinese, French, Galician, Hindi, Portuguese and Spanish"
https://trisquel.info/en/forum/trisquel-22-released

"I'm sorry to write you in English, but that the language i judge more aproprieated to adrees here, since my native language is Brazilian Portuguese"
https://trisquel.info/en/hiholaola-can-i-post-english

Congratulations, and loads of thanks, to all involved in this great journey into freedom.

prospero

As a side note, clicking on the "Install Trisquel" desktop icon on a Trisquel Mini 11.0.1 live system opens the usual dialogue box for executable text files, instead of directly starting the install process:

Mini_11.0.1_live_install.jpg